Started thinking about the differences between a Dictator and a Leader. I was surprised, after looking up the definitions online, how similar these two are.
Definition of DICTATOR
- a person granted absolute emergency power; especially one appointed by the senate of ancient Rome
- one holding complete autocratic control
- one ruling absolutely and often oppressively
Definition of LEADER
A Person Who Leads: as
- Guide, Conductor
- (1) a person who directs a military force or unit (2) a person who has commanding authority or influence
- (1) the principal officer of a British political party (2) a party member chosen to manage party activities in a legislative body (3) such a party member presiding over the whole legislative body when the party constitutes a majority
- (1) conductor (2) a first or principal performer of a group
I think the key word here is influence. A LEADER is someone “who has commanding authority or influence.”
Looking up the definition of INFLUENCE, you’ll see it defined as:
INFLUENCE: the act or power of producing an effect without apparent exertion of force or direct exercise of command.
Ahh… now – do you want to be perceived by your organization as a dictator or a leader? There is a difference.